Marillion - Misplaced Childhood CD (album) cover

MISPLACED CHILDHOOD

Marillion

Valarius
4 stars Back in 2001, at the age of 14, I was a typical Heavy Metal fan. I remember my Uncle told me and my friend (also into metal) that he liked a group called Marillion. A few weeks later by some coincidence my friend came across a sample/single by the group. We listened to it and then laughed and mocked the 'Soft Rock' music that we were listening to. Oh how we thought we were so great!

Fast forward a few years and I've been opened up to a whole new world of Progressive Rock. Having stumbled across the name Marillion as a Prog Rock band, I thought it'd be interesting to give them a proper chance and see what they're like. 'Misplaced Childhood' was my first album, and I'm glad to say I made the right choice.

At first I didn't like it. I guess when you're checking out a new band a concept album may be quite an ambitious step to take. I had read a lot of good things about this album, but overall felt that it was maybe just a bit too much to digest for an introduction to a band.

However I decided to give it a few more listens, and I'm glad I did. The album grew on me greatly.

'Misplaced Childhood' has arguably some of the most beautiful songs ever written, such as 'Kayleigh', 'Bitter Suite', 'Blind Curve', 'Childhoods End' and 'White Feather'. There are also some great rock tracks like 'Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)' and 'Lords of the Backstage', that have some interesting melodies in them.

The songs flow smoothly and effortlessly together without stopping any momentum, however this is also one of the main problems I have with this album. With the exception of the big singles such as 'Kayleigh' and 'Lavender', I find this album is tricky when it comes to picking out individual songs, and instead it works better as a whole album. Unfortunately sometimes you don't want to listen to 40 minutes of music just to pick out the two or three minutes you were looking for.

Fortunately that's just my opinion and regardless of whether the single tracks work for you or not, this is a great album that belongs in any collection of any Prog fan.

Valarius | 4/5 |