Jethro Tull - Nightcap CD (album) cover

NIGHTCAP

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Slartibartfast
3 stars My first encounter with the Chateau D'isaster tapes was in the 20 year box set that came out in '88. I thought that was all there was to it but then got the word that there was a version of the album that might have been. It came out just a few years after the box set, but I am now just checking Nightcap out. If you're a fan of '70's Tull, and A Passion Play in particular, there's a lot of familiar material here. Some things went to A Passion Play. The song, Solitaire, went to Warchild. There are enough parts that I haven't heard here to make the whole thing a rather interesting production. Since the tapes were supposed to be a disaster, I have to guess that this has to be a polished up version of what was done.

The second disc is a mix of leftover songs from the '70's with a few other dregs from the 80's and '90's in the second disc. I know the '70's stuff is now incorporated as bonus tracks on the remasters of their '70's albums. The tracks from the next two decades aren't bad either if you enjoy the Tull from those years.

The songwriting royalties from this release were (and are still? probably) being donated to charities.

Slartibartfast | 3/5 |