Metallica - ... And Justice for All CD (album) cover

... AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

Metallica

Valarius
5 stars For me personally, this album is where my musical 'progression' began. Everything I listen to in this day and age all goes back to Metallica's 'And Justice For All'.

When I was new to the world of Heavy Metal, I was instantly hooked on two particular bands, Megadeth and Kiss. After coming across the video for 'One' on TV, which I only watched originally because I missed the song-title and for some reason thought it was Megadeth, I instantly headed out to the local music shop and bought 'And Justice For All' when I found out it was Metallica. Little did I know it back then, but purchasing this album was a very important moment for me musically.

Aside from listening to bands like Megadeth and Kiss, being a young Metal fan in the year 2000/2001, I was also getting into bands like Rammstein and Static-X. However, Metallica instantly leaped to the top of the pile, and the reason being was that I loved the complex structure of the music. I loved the ten minute songs. I loved the two minute intros. I love the epic change of dynamics throughout the album between melodic and heavy moments. I loved everything.

There is no denying the influence this album has had on the Progressive Metal genre. Besides the reasons I mentioned above, there was the fact that the songs on here were by far the most ambitious that Metallica have ever written. The odd drum beats and time signatures would influence many modern metal drummers. The guitar riffs and harmonies were the most intricate that Hetfield and Hammett had ever produced.

If I hadn't bought this album I would have probably slipped down a nasty slope towards all the other Industrial/Nu Metal bands that were common at that time. But thankfully AJFA helped me appreciate musicianship, along with longer, more intricate song structures. Every track here is a Metallica fan-favourite, and this album would probably rank as one of my five most important finds (alongside 'Images and Words' by Dream Theater and 'Destroyer' by Kiss).

This is an album that belongs in any collection. Whether you're into standard Metal, or Progressive Metal, and that's something that all metal fans can agree on.

Valarius | 5/5 |