Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath CD (album) cover

BLACK SABBATH

Black Sabbath

Valarius
2 stars To be honest I'm not really all that into Black Sabbath, and only make the effort to buy their albums if I can get them cheap, like on Ebay, charity shops or car-boot sales.

Going into this album I wasn't expecting a great deal. I've given it plenty of plays to allow myself to become familiar with the songs and let them grow on me, but unfortunately I've only come to like four of the eight songs. And even then I feel that two of them go on a bit too long.

Considering that this is practically the album that started Heavy Metal, it's understandable why so many people would rate this album so highly, but I've honestly never been too keen on Black Sabbaths sound or style. To be as blunt as I can, I find their music to be pretty boring.

There are some pretty decent songs on here, but for me they're nothing to shout about. 'Black Sabbath' and 'N.I.B' are two obvious crowd pleasers, but I could think of a million different songs I would rather listen to before even thinking about putting these on.

Judging by the amount of positive reviews this album seems to have received over the years, I think it's fair to say that this isn't actually that bad an album, and that this review reflects my own personal opinion. If you want to listen to some early heavy metal then by all means check this out, but in my opinion (since this is my review) this album is just plain boring and dull.

Valarius | 2/5 |