Rush - Moving Pictures CD (album) cover

MOVING PICTURES

Rush

4.41 | 1954 ratings

penguindf12
2 stars This is not a very good album - but then, I'm not a huge Rush fan. I LOVE "2112," and bits from their albums before this one (especially "Hemispheres"), but "Moving Pictures" honestly bores me.

"Tom Sawyer" is a good song - a good condensed "prog rock lite" hard-rock number. It's impossible not to dig the 7/8 midsection.

"Red Barchetta" is just plain boring.

"YYZ" is a cool instrumental track that gets more attention than it really deserves. Nice bass licks, but it mostly leaves me cold.

"Limelight." I used to really dig the lyrics, but now they seem pretty hackneyed. Nifty 7/4 riffs though.

"The Camera Eye" crawls along in an uninteresting fashion - it's quite overlong & synth-heavy.

I honestly can't recall most of "Witch Hunt" and "Vital Signs" - they're pretty bland. The whole album reeks a little bit of corpo-rock. I know I liked it a lot more when I was a kid, but that's no excuse - albums like "The Wall" stand up well even now. "Moving Pictures" simply doesn't stand up. The few tracks that are worthwhile - "Tom Sawyer", "YYZ", "Limelight" - you will hear anyway from Guitar Hero, radio, or friends. There's no need to buy this album unless you just really like Rush.

penguindf12 | 2/5 |