Gryphon - Gryphon CD (album) cover

GRYPHON

Gryphon

Prog Folk

Dobermensch
5 stars I really like this little album. Much better than the overrated 'Red Queen to Gryphon Three'. I guess that's because I like mediaeval instruments. This one is very ancient sounding - in a good authentic way - played with lots of unusual instruments including their famous 'Krumhorn'. I can't believe it only has 2.88 on the Prog Archive Richter Scale. What's the matter with everyone, eh?

It sounds unlike just about anyone I've heard before (and I sit here swamped by thousands of cd's). It's unusual, cheery, bright, VERY Mediaeval and also very English sounding (which I shouldn't like - being from Scotland!). 'Three Butchers' has some bawdy, funny lyrics sung by blokes who sound completely smashed trying to sound sober. There's also a few 'cover' versions of 14th Century tunes which are superb. Forget 'Rock' folks. This one's as far removed from that kind of music as you'll get. For something a bit different I'd certainly recommend this.

One of the few 5 Star awards I'll be awarding on this site. Brilliant!

Dobermensch | 5/5 |