Evergrey - The Inner Circle CD (album) cover

THE INNER CIRCLE

Evergrey

Valarius
4 stars Although I wouldn't quite consider this album a masterpiece, I agree with many of the reviews it has received over the years, that this is most definitely one of the darkest, moodiest, most depressing albums I've ever heard.

Although there are a few tracks on here that I consider to be fairly dull, underneath all the dark, emotional themes are some great Progressive Metal songs. It's because of these songs that I'm torn with my rating, because they are fantastic. Pieces like 'A Touch of Blessing', 'Ambassador' and 'The Essence of Conviction' are all reasons to get this album.

The music on this album will appeal to most Prog/Gothic Metal fans. In particular I think fans of Symphony X will like what Evergrey bring to the table. Although I don't think the musicianship is anywhere near SX's level.

Arguably one of the most depressive albums ever written, Evergrey tell a great story with this great album. Just don't play it at any parties?

Valarius | 4/5 |