Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage, Act I CD (album) cover

JOE'S GARAGE, ACT I

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

javajeff
5 stars Joe's Garage is the album that made me "get it" and move beyond the jazz offerings like the stellar Hot Rats. I have always been on the fence about comedy in music, and have remained serious about my music for a long time. Devin Townsend warmed me up to humor with Ziltoid, and it is easy to see how Frank could have influenced him in hindsight. I think what makes Frank Zappa an amazing artist is that everything is fair game. Any topic, any genre, any thing. Making music is an art form and medium for expression, as it should be. Music today has become too predictable, processed, and systematic, so I am really blown away exploring the entire Frank Zappa collection. I feel like I should have digged deeper sooner. Back to Joe's garage. I just love a good concept album, and Acts 1,2 & 3 make an incredible experience. The Central Scrutinizer opens the album, but is such a funny personality as a play by play type of announcer that provides interludes throughout the album. Catholic GIrls is a funny track, and you get the feeling any topic is fair game. Yep, wet t-shirt is coming soon. Crew Slut is a blues type of number, and On The Bus has some excellent guitar solos until it fades out so The Central Scrutinizer can provide some information about Joe. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee is about the male anatomy, and then Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up is a track about love with a reggae vibe and sparse musical arrangement. Ending Act 1 is Scrutinizer Postlude, and The Central Scrutinizer sums it up about Joe. Act 1 on it's own is a stellar album, and 2&3 just continue with the same theme and excellent imagination from a musical genius. The timing and mood is right for me to dig deeper, and I am loving it.
javajeff | 5/5 |