Alan Parsons Project - I Robot CD (album) cover

I ROBOT

Alan Parsons Project

Alitare
4 stars Day after day, the show must go on...

My favorite APP album. I Robot is what I feel as the band's musical peak. Creatively, Tales has this one beaten, but I feel the overall music is stronger, here. You have a wide range of diverse styles coming from this album. Funk rock, pop, prog, ambient, ballad. the songs are never too heavy as to drive listeners away, and retains a restrained and somewhat soft approach throughout, although nucleus and total eclipse aren't much like anything else on the album.

I Robot is a funky instrumental opener, leading into the pop funk of I wouldn't want to be like you. The orchestras sounding Some other time, with it's build up is fantastic, and Breakdown is a catchy paranoid rocker. Another ballad with Don't let it show, and The voice modification utilizing The Voice. Day After Day (The Show Must Go On) is simply beautiful. With great lyrics and an amazing melody, I love this song! The final track is a dark ambient piece tying the theme of the album together and leaving off emotionally.

This is a very recommended album, but it isn't terribly complex, and a few of the tracks suffer a bit from being bloated or excessive in their merit. So a solid four stars is fitting.

Alitare | 4/5 |