Metallica - Metallica CD (album) cover

METALLICA

Metallica

Alitare
2 stars Back to the meeting of Wolf and Man...

The black album. What fun! this is the album that everyone seems to cite when determining when everyone should hate Metallica.

Half of the album revolves around simplistic melodic rock/metal, the other half somewhat uptempo metal. the songs, themselves are fairly catchy at times, and the lyrics don't tend to delve too deeply into mediocrity, but this is still a very simplistic affair. Enter Sandman has one of the hardest rocking sections, but never really takes off. Everything is so subdued, and not in a way as to promote melody. It is gruff and commercial. I am not saying gruff and commercial is always bad, but I dislike it, here. Sad but true follows the same vein as the first track, and fails to impress me. Same goes for Holier Than Thou, and Unforgiven. It is all so same sounding. All the songs tread the same mid-tempo ground. Wherever I may roam, Through the never, and don't tread on me are all the same, fundamentally.

Of Wolf and Man is what I cite as the albums weakest moment. highly simply, highly commercial, weak and easy compared to past work, and with mediocre lyrics to top it off. The album is so middle ground all the way through. I downright don't like this album. Sure some of the songs are catchy and rocking, but nothing compared to their previous work. I will give two stars, for some of the catchy melodies.

Alitare | 2/5 |