Metallica - Load CD (album) cover

LOAD

Metallica

Alitare
1 stars Where's your crown, king nothing?

Probably in the trash can. Right where I would place my copy of this album if I still had it. Some might argue the redeeming qualities of this, but it is so far removed from anything even remotely progressive or influential in such a way. Much more commercially crafted than even Their self titled album, this is hard rock. Not that hard rock is inferior to heavy metal, but this is some shallow and simplistic hard rock. The lyrics are downright painful at times, and nothing here is progressive, adventurous, edgy, unique, or strong. The compositions are bland, and the instrumentation seems to have taken a back seat to Hetfield's vocals, which were never too amazing.

The lyrics here are awful, even for a generic heavy metal band, and it is all so plain. King nothing is a decent enough hard rocker, but it all feels so samey. Some of their songs go on for far too long (Bleeding me, The Outlaw Torn), and others shouldn't even come into existence. (Ain't my Bitch, 2x4...mumble mumblethewholealbummumblemumble) I suppose the semantics aficionados would say this is progression from Metallica, but I could just as easily call it a regression.

t wouldn't have been as bad, I suppose, if the songs were at least a bit more adventurous in some form, rather than what was released. It doesn't help that I absolutely dislike this album, so I can't give brownie points just for liking it. As it stands, One star.

Alitare | 1/5 |