Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells CD (album) cover

TUBULAR BELLS

Mike Oldfield

Valarius
3 stars The first time I heard this album, I fell into the trap of believing the hype. After hearing so much about this album I had high expectations. It spent what seemed like forever at the number one spot in the charts. It made Mike Oldfield and Virgin Records household names. And the fact Mike Oldfield was only 19 when he recorded it just added more to iconic aura that surrounds it.

Upon hearing it, I thought it was totally overrated. The 'old' production sounded rough and primitive. The 'distorted guitars' were not distorted enough (by modern standards anyway). All in all, I asked myself 'what is so great about this album?'.

Fast forward a few years, and I've given Tubular Bells a few listens and given it a decent chance to grow on me this time, and now I think the hype is justified. This album is great!

Of course, this isn't the sort of album you put on and memorize after one listen, it takes a few spins to get into, but once you do, there's some pretty good stuff to be heard. At times the music is very random and creative, at others it's simple and elegant. But the whole album is a whole new musical experience.

I wouldn't say this is the best album I've ever heard, nor would I call it Mike Oldfield's best album, but I can understand why it made such an impact when it first came out. It's one of those iconic albums. You have to own it, if for no other reason than for the fact that it is THE Tubular Bells.

Valarius | 3/5 |