Rush - Moving Pictures CD (album) cover

MOVING PICTURES

Rush

4.41 | 1985 ratings

Alitare
4 stars His name's Tom Sawyer, he gets high on you...

Rush's finest hour, or so some would have you believe. I for one enjoy it quite a bit, but doubt some of the overall prog of this album.

Tom Sawyer - The first track on the album and quite a solid opening. Progressive, rocking, and lyrically strong. 9/10.

Red Barchetta - Leading into Red Barchetta, we have a bit restrained sound compared to the previous song, but with solid progressive leanings. The lyrics tell a good story, and don't bore me. 8/10

YYZ - The instrumental, and one of the most complex tracks on the record. With it's highyl technical playing, various time signatures, and an eastern twinged solo that shreds face, possibly my favorite song on the album. 10/10.

Limelight - The anthem, and a more simplistic track. It has good lyrics, and decent enough pacng, but seems to lack a bit. Strong solo, though. 8/10.

Camera Eye - The longest track on the album, and I don't see why it needed to be so long. There are some interesting parts, here, but it never seems to do what it could have done in the time it takes up. For this reason, I'd cite it as my least favorite song, here. Still not bad, though. 7/10.

Witch Hunt - Coming back powerfully from Camera Eye, Witch hunt has skillful playing, exquisite lyrics, and an overall enjoyable sound. Nothing outstanding, but certainly a fine song. 8/10.

Vital Signs - The final track is one of the best on the album, with inquisitive lyrics and rocking tone in places. It closes the album nicely. 9/10.

In all, the album is quite good, and I can easily award four stars to it.

Alitare | 4/5 |