Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (3 -

PETER GABRIEL (3 - "MELT")

Peter Gabriel

Alitare
5 stars Games without frontiers...

Peter Gabriel's thrid studio album, and not a bad effort, I must say. Several of the melodies are memorable and catchy, while not delving too deep into pop. Although I would consider this an art pop album above any other genre terms. The progressiveness of some tracks are lacking, and the drumming/percussion while good at times, somewhat bored me.

The songs follow a sparse and slightly dark tone throughout. highlights including Games without Frontiers, and Biko. Everything else is slightly memorable pop with a dark tone, and good lyrics. Lacking in progressiveness, scope, and technicality, the record seems to stumble at times, and prevents itself from achieving what I feel t could have if given a bit of a formula change. Although I did enjoy this record, I can;t say it stuck out in my mind very much at all after a few listens.

At the end of the day, this is a solid art pop record, with some pessimistic undertones, and a few instances of unusual or eastern drumming. Three Stars.

Alitare | 5/5 |