The Who - A Quick One CD (album) cover

A QUICK ONE

The Who

Proto-Prog

Alitare
2 stars A Quick one? Does this mean it is shorter than their debut, and therefore better?

Oh, but this IS better, and it shows. First off, they can actually hold a decent rhythm on this. Run Ru Run, while lyrically about as enticing as sawing off one's foot furiously, they rock harder, and with more cohesion and focus.

Boris The Spider is somewhat weirder, and more interesting. Not spooky in a brilliant way, but a nice song. One of the best moments on the album, but it isn't anything spectacular. Silly to the point of being painful, but the quirky melodies and overall fun the song bleeds makes it tolerable. I Need You is more concise and well played pop. This record is a lot like their first, only better. Nothing is amazing, but they rock harder, the lyrics are better (but NOT good). The singing is a bit stronger, and they have more experience writing a song.

Whiskey Man is average rock. That is it, that is the best thing this album has, average rock. Everything else is substandard pop punk. Still owing to the Beatles, they are trying to find a full identity, and not doing so well. The melodies tend to fall flat, and the hooks have been done before. But there is an honest sign of improvement. Heat Wave rocks hard. The "ooh's" are getting old, though. But what better way to avoid writing bad lyrics than to not write any at all? This is a hooky and harmonious track, and possibly my favorite song on here. They groove heavy. Cobwebs and Strange sounds bad. This is just not good. Carnival hell. Progressive? Hardly. Fun? Is stabbing knives in your ears fun? If it weren't so quirky, I'd stop listening to the album this moment. Don't Look Away has them grooving weakly, again. It gets old, quickly. The solo is a throwaway, anywho.

See my way is laughable. Another track that would have fit on the debut quite well. Although it still feels a bit more focused than that. The horns added are not good. They are just a gimmick, really. Don't add much to the diversity (it is just a couple toots here or there) and it is hardly emotional. Give me something memorable, damn it! Nothing here is memorable. It all feels like filler pop punk, save for a couple examples.

So Sad About Us is a bit relieving in its fast rocking. Still not much more than average, at best. It is also a bit too long. (yeah, at 3 minutes). At least the album is finally over. Or is it? Do we have time for one more song? Oh, come on one more? Just another track please? I promise we will make it...

A Quick One. The opening vocal hooks are nice. And this is the best moment of the album, which isn't saying too much. The guitars are nice, and everyone works together to make a fun track, though. The lyrics don't terribly offend, and this is actually an average song! The different movements fail to impress, and the progression is still highly lacking. Considered the first rock Opera, though. If so, it is a mediocre one. The soft section feels bubbly in an ok way. The acoustics are nice, even if the singing is lame. And oh my does the singing hurt my ears. The best thing here, and a decent closer.

Yeah, an improvement over Sings My Generation, but sometimes I think silence is an improvement over that. Oh well. The lyrics are still bland and disappointing, their singing still isn't great, and they don't do much more than pop punk, barring a couple excursions. Mediocre.

Best Song - A Quick One

Worst Song - Not again! Oh, how about Cobwebs and Strange?

** Very Weak Stars