Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear CD (album) cover

BATTALIONS OF FEAR

Blind Guardian

Valarius
2 stars I came across Blind Guardian randomly in a shop in Germany where they were selling 'Battalions of Fear' and 'Follow the Blind' very cheap. I bought them both to give them a chance as I had heard mention of the band numerous times and was curious to see what they're like.

At first I wasn't too keen. I liked maybe one or two songs from both albums, and then just kind of went off Blind Guardian for a while. Then whilst browsing Myspace one day I came across Blind Guardian and clicked on their page to give them a listen. I can't remember what songs played, but I know that they were different from what I remembered hearing. The rest is history.

Of course with that said, the fact remains I don't think this album is all that good. There are one or two decent tracks, but it mostly sounds like a typical Power Metal album from the 80's, only without any memorable melodies in it.

The best song on this album is by far 'Majesty', and serves as a nice prelude to what Blind Guardian are to produce on future albums. The rest of the album is okay, but generally sounds uninspired. And the rather weak production doesn't help either.

Overall, this is not a bad album, but you'd probably regret spending too much on it.

Valarius | 2/5 |