Glass Hammer - Shadowlands CD (album) cover

SHADOWLANDS

Glass Hammer

Valarius
4 stars When I got this album (my first Glass Hammer purchase) I don't think anything could have prepared me for what I was about to hear.

My original opinion that I still stick to now, is that this music is hard to get into because there is so much going on. There are so many harmonies and melodies and vocal layers that it took me ages to distinguish all the songs. Of course the juice is worth the squeeze, but it was one hell of a squeeze.

Listening to Glass Hammer is an experience like no other. So many words come to mind that can be used to describe their music: epic, ambitious, grandiose, emotional, possibly even pompous. However, once you take the time to know and recognize each song, any one of them could stand alone as a masterpiece, not only of progressive music, but of music in general. In particular, the epic track of the album 'Behind the Great Beyond' (which clocks in at 20 minutes long) is a textbook 101 example of the most perfect music you'll ever hear.

The production on this album is nice and does a good job of releasing an almost ambient feel to it, so while this certainly isn't the sort of album you'd play at a birthday party, these are some great songs for your own personal enjoyment. And the lyrics on this album put most artists to shame.

A masterpiece of Symphonic Prog, an absolute must for fans of Yes and Genesis.

Valarius | 4/5 |