Adrian Belew - Desire Caught By The Tail CD (album) cover

DESIRE CAUGHT BY THE TAIL

Adrian Belew

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This was the Adrian Belew album I was waiting for. Lone Rhino was okay, it had a few songs I liked, but nothing that I loved. Twang Bar King was jut too... normal. There was nothing there to show he earned the crown he proclaimed was his.

But here was the record that showed why so many truly creative artists (Zappa, Eno, Fripp, Laurie Anderson to name a few) were looking to hire Belew's talents. This album is not pop songs. It's not rock. It's a collection of songs, albeit very short even by vinyl record standards at the time, that defies description.

While I presume that most of the sounds came from Belew's guitar synth, very few of the sounds are easily identifiable as coming from a guitar.

I know this barely describes the music itself. But really, this is indescribable music.

Sorry, Ade you lose a star for only have 32 minutes of music here.

Evolver | 4/5 |