Anyone's Daughter - In Blau CD (album) cover

Anyone's Daughter

5 stars Wow, this one has really grown on me! More polished sound / slicker production with a slight tendency toward pop and a noticeable "80's" upgrade in instrument sound. This was what I noticed at first listens. Now, however I hear many great melodies and outstanding playing. This is a more mature sounding band. It wouldn't be hard to make a strong case for this as their strongest album, though I think their first still takes the cake for me. More acoustic guitar here, and it sounds really nice. It took me a long time to get into the opening track as on the surface the chorus rings of 80's pop or cheesy jap-rock (and this put me off), but it is a very atmospheric and melodious song that, while still my least favorite track, one I do enjoy and would not want to skip. Though I make mention of pop in reference to this album, it is in my opinion less pop-sounding than their second album, and nowhere close to the vapid pop on their following album. This is their last great (or good) studio album, and still true to their patent sound (symphonic, progressive, melodious etc.) certainly a statement in the punk/pop/disco/metal climate of 1982!.

listen | 5/5 |