Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

The T
5 stars A masterpiece of progressive-rock.

The album is not perfect. Some of the long tracks are not up to the highest standard that GENESIS was able to reach in their best moments. "The Cinema Show" and "Battle of Epping Forest" are good, not great, extended songs. Also, some of the little tracks (sandwiched between long tracks in a long-weak format) are just irrelevant (though I tend to like the usually dissmissed "I Know What I Like").

But there are two tracks which make the album a 5-star masterpiece just because of their existence: "Firth of Fifth", arguably the greatest song ever, and "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", a jewel of symphonic rock that defies description. The piano-intro in the former is superb, the way the song is thematically integrated is perfect, but the absolute beauty arrives in the shape of the solo of all solos, the one Hackett does imitating the already-majestic melody that Peter Gabriel played in the flute near the end of the verse. The cry, the lament that we can hear in the strings, the melodic power that we feel under our skin is too much for a song to handle. Yet this one does, and it concludes brilliantly. The latter track is a masterclass in progressive-rock writing, with the marvelous opening theme serving as guideline for the fantastic estructure to build upon.

Two tracks that don't need more description but that deserve to be heard. Listened to. Discovered. This album, inferior to Foxtrot and A Trick of the Tail, earns its spot as one of the greatest because it contains two of the brightest momnents ever in rock history.

The T | 5/5 |