OSI - Office of Strategic Influence  (Limited Edition) CD (album) cover

OFFICE OF STRATEGIC INFLUENCE (LIMITED EDITION)

OSI

Experimental/Post Metal

Valarius
4 stars I went into this album with three things in mind. I'm a fan of Dream Theater, I'm a fan of Fates Warning, and I'm a fan of Chroma Key. OSI is the perfect combination of all three. Mike Portnoy's crazy drum beats work with Jim Matheos' unique riffs and Kevin Moore's eerie ambience to create a great piece of experimental Metal music.

Opening track 'The New Math (What He Said)' is a great example of what to expect on this album, lush guitar riffs and powerful drumming make each song on this record something to remember, and Kevin Moore's vocals (though he's no James LaBrie) really suits this style of music.

The bonus disc is pretty good as well, considering how most bonus discs are usually excuses to re-release an album for a higher price. While 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun' and 'New Mama' are both nice little ambient pieces, the real gem is 'The Thing that Never Was', a 17 minute instrumental that comprises of all the best parts of the album. A pretty decent track for what it is.

Also included is two bonus videos, a video for 'Horseshoes and B-52's' and a short documentary. In all fairness CD's that come with videos aren't really too exciting these days since you can pretty much find anything on the internet, however, it's still a cool little package.

Overall this is a good album for fans of more experimental music. I think people who like any of these members' respective bands will enjoy this. If you can, go for the limited edition version, as the bonus disc really is a nice extra.

Valarius | 4/5 |