Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons  CD (album) cover

A CHANGE OF SEASONS

Dream Theater

Valarius
5 stars The greatest EP ever!

With enough material to be considered an album, this EP is truly vintage Dream Theater. Okay, so only one of the songs is a Dream Theater original, but it is one helluva song! 'A Change of Seasons' is considered by many fans to be the ultimate DT song, and if not then surely it'd rate somewhere in the top five.

At 23 minutes long this piece has plenty of stuff going on to keep people listening from beginning to end. The intro alone is about five minutes long and displays some of the best muscianship you'd find in a band. Every member is in great form here, and newcomer Derek Sherinian on Keyboards shows that he's more than capable of hanging with these guys.

Along with this song are four great covers. Covers of Elton John's 'Funeral for a Friend/Loves Lies Bleeding' and Deep Purple's 'Perfect Strangers' are amazing, and in my opinion they totally blow away the originals. Then there's a medley of Led Zeppelin songs, which is okay, though I'm not a huge Zeppelin fan. And finally, 'The Big Medley', a great ten minute masterpiece consisting of pieces from bands such as Kansas, Queen, Journey and Genesis.

This EP is long enough and good enough to be considered an album, although the title track would have been so much better as a centerpiece of a studio album, I guess what's done is done and all we can do is enjoy it. The cover versions would get this album a 4/5 rating, but the title track is simply perfect. So overall five stars from me!

Valarius | 5/5 |