Opeth - Ghost Reveries CD (album) cover

GHOST REVERIES

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Werneflo
5 stars This was my first Opeth album, and I was wholly unprepared for the ride I was about to be taken on when the first melancholic chords of Ghost of Perdition came at me. How something so explosive and brutal can be so beautiful and harmonic is just unbelievable.

First thing that surprised me about this album was the growling. I hate growling. But, then again, what Åkerfeldt does isn't really growling, but rather singing with a distorted voice. Before I had heard his growling, I thought of growling as either the sound of a screaming cookie monster or an asthmatic having a coughing fit. With Åkerfeldt it's none of that though. His growling is a diabolical as can be, yet you can hear what he's singing at the same time. Growling for growling's sake is awful, but when growling can actually convey a message and lyrics, it's a great mood-setting tool.

It's not just the growling that holds an "above-the-rest" quality; the instruments are played with incredible timing and perfection as well, and the mixing and sound quality is as good as can be. The decision to include keyboardist Per Wiberg is also a great move forwards for the band, adding another layer of harmony to the plethora of layers already there.

This album is very dark and depressive, and it let's all of that out in the explosive moments that interchange with the melancholic and often acoustic parts. You can say the whole feel of the album is that of built-up and released rage and sadness.

I can't find anything to complain about really, this is just an amazing album.

Werneflo | 5/5 |