Peter Gabriel - OVO CD (album) cover

OVO

Peter Gabriel

AtomicCrimsonRush
Symphonic Team
2 stars Two standout tracks on this album save it from complete mediocrity. That is The Nest That Sailed The Sky and the wonderful 10 minute mini epic Make Tomorrow. Unfortunately, the album concept disappears up its own shaft of complexity. Some of the guest appearances work well enough (Ravi Shankar and Richie Havens, namely) but overall it is overblown and comes across as new age nonsense, with extreme new age themes that are as heavy handed as the musical arrangement.

I am not a fan of this type of music and Peter Gabriel has done better on Up and his first 3 albums. The orchestral treatment is tiresome on Ovo, though i have to hand it to him. He has taken risks with this and it is an interesting first listen. After the initial shock of what the album is about it wears thin very quickly. The only tracks I play now are the last 2. Unfortunately, the rest is a waste of talent.

I will mention though that the booklet is beautifully produced and innovative. I guess that, and the 2 aforementioned tracks, warrant it a minimum of 2 stars.

AtomicCrimsonRush | 2/5 |