Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment  CD (album) cover

LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT

Liquid Tension Experiment

Valarius
4 stars Playing music that is as obscure as their name, Liquid Tension Experiment consists of Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci from Dream Theater, Tony Levin from King Crimson, and keyboard virtuoso Jordan Rudess (who would later go on to join Dream Theater). If you like Dream Theater you'll love this. If you don't, then I suggest you stay as far away from this album as possible.

Whilst some people who aren't fans of constant shredding and noodling might be discouraged from getting this album, there is a lot more on offer here than a constant display of who can play the fastest. Some of the music is as experimental and insane as it gets. Namely, tracks like 'Chris and Kevin's Excellent Adventure', 'Osmosis' and 'The Stretch'.

But of course, we can't have an album with such members in it and not have some mind- destroying theatrics, for which we have 'Paradigm Shift' and THE song 'Universal Mind' (which alone makes this album worthwhile).

This album would get a five star rating from me, if it wasn't for that blasted 'Three Minute Warning'. A 28 minute improvised jam which, though amazingly impressive and filled to the brim with THE BEST musicianship you'll ever hear, is generally boring and not something you'd tend to listen to unless as background music. The problem with it is that it takes a billion listens just to recognize minor pieces of it, for which I give up and accept as it is.

Of course, the LTE guys acknowledge this on the back of the case, where it humorously states 'Caution: 'Three Minute Warning' is not for the musically faint-hearted, impatient, or critics of extreme self-indulgence. If you fall into any of the above categories, please hit the stop button on your CD player after track #8'.

This should have been used to sum up the entire album in my opinion, however, regardless of any 'self- indulgence' that goes on here, this is a great album, not to be missed. Especially if you're Dream Theater fan!

Valarius | 4/5 |