Bill Bruford - Feels Good to Me CD (album) cover

FEELS GOOD TO ME

Bill Bruford

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This, Bill Bruford's first solo album, is still my favorite of all of his. The playing by all of the musicians is spectacular. And I know many of you don't like Annette Peacock's vocals on this recording, but I find her phrasing quite compelling, and her breathy tone very sexy. The style of the recordings bring to mind Brand X, and it should, as the album was co-produced by Robin Lumley, Brand X's keyboard player, and has a guest appearance by John Goodsall, Brand X's guitarist.

A highlight on this record are the opening track, "Beelzebub" with a percussive feel that makes it seem like it was written in the same manner as "Five Percent For Nothing" from Yes' Fragile album. But here, the song is played out with a much better idea of how to make it a full song.

Another standout track is "Back To The Beginning", with a heavy intro, that leads into Peacock's hot vocals, and an odd, electronic filled break.

This is the Bruford album I still listen to the most, even after more than 30 years.

Evolver | 4/5 |