Andromeda - II = I CD (album) cover

II = I

Andromeda

Valarius
4 stars 'Extension of the Wish', Andromeda's debut, happens to be one of my favourite albums of all time, so it's pretty obvious that these guys sure have a lot of hard work in store for them if they wish to top it. Sadly, I don't think 'II = I' quite lives up to the standards set by 'Extension...', but this is a spectacular effort none-the-less.

One of the key elements of this album is that the band is starting to bond and form a great chemistry amongst themselves. Whilst their debut record was mostly written by guitarist Johan Reinholdz, on this album it seems everyone collaborated as a unit to produce the music, giving us a more well-rounded, mature, Prog Metal band.

As always with bands in this genre, the musianship is some of the best you'll ever hear. Each member is truly a master at their respective instrument. Johan Reinholdz and keyboard player Martin Hedin should be considered a next-generation version of Petrucci and Rudess.

Unfortunately this album does seem a bit dull at times. The first five tracks are all perfect in every way. The title track is an amazing musical adventure full of great riffs and leads, and songs like 'Mirages' and 'Reaching Deep Within' have riffs heavy enough to knock down a building.

Unfortunately, the second half of the album doens't seem as great. The songs are good, no doubt about it, but it just feels like all the best ideas have already been used up.

It's a great album, maybe not as good as 'Extension...' in my opinion, but definitely not a step backwards. I've always kind of visioned Andromeda as the 'Next Dream Theater'. I look forward to one day referring to bands as the 'Next Andromeda'.

Valarius | 4/5 |