Procol Harum - Grand Hotel CD (album) cover

GRAND HOTEL

Procol Harum

friso
4 stars Wohw! Dutch PA collegue progrules sold me some of his old vinyl section and this is one of the finest adds to my collection.

Well, lets start at the cover. It's so gentle, so elegant. The cover is actually so good that it makes the content of this record even more elegant. BTW, if you look at the glass of champain on the back of the cover you can find a lot of elements that are visually impossible.

Overall the music on Grand Hotel is gentle, bombastic, symphonic and ofcourse progressive. The songs Grand Hotel, T.V. Ceaser and Firess (which burnt brightly) are true epics of great significance. Everyting is there: piano's and organs, guitars, bass and drums. But also orchestral sounds and choirs. The music is composed with chordbased systems, but the progressive parts are done with a lot of modulations wich make the music exciting. This way no cheasy parts are present.

The opening song Grand Hotel is a bombastic semi-classical extravaganza with great vocals and melodies. One of Procol's most exciting songs ever. The classical themes are played with an orchestra and they fit in perfectly with the gentle lyrics about this nice hotel. The atmosphere of this song accompanied with the artwork makes this a song wich alway takes me to a fantasy world of glitter and glamour. A masterpiece!

TV Ceasar is an epic with a lot of chord modulations that keep you focussed on the song. The theme get higher and higher and Gary Brooker's vocals keep getting more intense every moment! whowh.. this sound is almost to much for my stereo! I wished Holland had a national anthem like this.

Fire wich burnt brightly is another epic. Accompanied by the great vocals of Cristianne Legrand. This song has a more serious vibe then the other epics, though it has the same symphonical sound. The vocal solo of Legrand is something that is very well thought off.

Two other songs that are nice are A rum tale and A souvenir from Londen. Both are lyricly interesting and even funny.

Always when I'm listening to this record I get such a good feeling. Your own house becomes the grand hotel itself! For this remarkable effort of elegence I can only give five stars! Recommended to everyone who likes or even dislikes symphonic music. All my friend even liked it, even the metalfans among them. Crossover at its best.

EDIT: Though I still think this is a great album, I changed the rating to four stars. I have to be cautious with my masterpieces!

friso | 4/5 |