Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won CD (album) cover

Led Zeppelin

3 stars First of all, I am a massive Led Zeppelin fan. I adore Jimmy Page's guitars hooks and riffs and Plants moanful wailing on the mic. Despite having some of the best riffs ever recorded, Page's improvisation and solos are suprisingly poor and very messy. I say this as someone who was taught guitar via improvisation and blues guitar so I may be somewhat over-zealous when it comes to messy guitar playing.

As improv really isnt the bands strong point and i find the solos on their studio albums quite often out of time anyway, recording them playing live led (see what I did there) to Page's guitar often being REALLY out of time with the drums and the bass.

This album may be raw and powerful but it is NOT A MUSICAL MASTERPIECE as most claim. It is simply too messy.

lordwatty | 3/5 |