Clockwork - Surface Tension CD (album) cover

SURFACE TENSION

Clockwork

Mellotron Storm
3 stars 3.5 stars. CLOCKWORK were a Prog-Metal band from the USA who released only one album back in 1999 before breaking up. Two lead guitarists and a great singer make this album a pleasing listen. They thank Sean Malone, Michael Romeo and SYMPHONY X, SHADOW GALLERY, Daniel Gildenlow and PAIN OF SALVATION among others. I was reminded of ENCHANT and FATES WARNING the most while listening to this recording.

"Secrets Of Centuries" opens with piano, flute and some strings. It kicks in before a minute. What an amazing sound ! It settles again. Vocals after 1 1/2 minutes. It kicks back in as contrasts continue. The guitar just soars before 6 minutes and I like the synths that follow. "One Wing" might be my favourite. A nice heavy rhythm as these passionate vocals come in. Great riffs follow. Love the vocal melodies too. Some incredible guitar before 5 minutes. "East Of Knowing" has this Spanish flavour throughout. I like the drums and percussion after a minute. "If These Walls Could Talk" is back to the heaviness. Vocals a minute in. Lots of excellent guitar too. We get a pastoral break of flute and acoustic guitar before it kicks back in.

"The Guardian Of Eden" is a little too eratic for my tastes, it's all over the place. It's impressive though.The guitar is fantstic 5 1/2 minutes in. "The Convolution Box" has this nice heavy soundscape. I like the guitar after 2 1/2 minutes. It settles with a Spanish flavour before 4 minutes before kicking back in. Nice bass 5 minutes in.The drumming really shines on this instrumental. A top three track. "Smile Under Sad Eyes" is a mid paced tune that's all about the lyrics. Some flute in this one and tasteful guitar after 3 minutes. "Design Of Enlightenment" is the almost 13 minute closer. Orchestral sounds before it kicks in heavily with synths. Vocals follow. Spoken female words 2 minutes in. The guitar is grinding away with vocals which is very FATES-like. Some intricate guitar work before 6 minutes. Heaviness comes back before 7 1/2 minutes. Great vocals follow.

I really wish they had been a little more one dimensional and kept it heavier, but it's still a good record despite the lighter tracks.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |