Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Alexlifeson2019
4 stars 7.5/10

Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection

From the outset of the opening track I immediately noticed a significant improvement in Pink Floyd's songwriting. While many consider the band's first album to be their peak in pure psychedelic rock, I actually prefer this record. It's consistently good until the last song Jugband Blues which leaves a sour taste in my mouth every time I listen to it due to the return of Syd's strange accessible psychedelic pop that plagued side two of the band's first album. Here on Saucerful you mostly find focused experimental psychedelic rock tunes like the attention grabbing opener Let There Be More Light or the atmospheric Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. If you really want to dive into the craziness of this album look no further than the nearly twelve minute title track that is both brilliant and terrifying. Overall, A Saucerful of Secrets has plenty to offer fans of psychedelic rock and is an improvement over the band's debut album. I wouldn't say that it's a masterpiece or anything, but it's certainly an album worth owning.

Favorite Tracks: Let There Be More Light, A Saucerful of Secrets, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, Corporal Clegg

Least Favorite Track: Jugband Blues