Symphony X - Paradise Lost CD (album) cover

PARADISE LOST

Symphony X

Valarius
4 stars Heavy: 1. of great weight; difficult to lift. 2. of great density. 3. 'Paradise Lost' by Symphony X.

You'll have to excuse the arrogance which tends to comes with being a Prog fan, but I feel so sorry for all the commercial mainstream Metal people that think bands like Slipknot, Pantera and Killswitch Engage are the most 'heavy, extreme, hardcore' bands of all time. They have NO IDEA what they are missing out on!

Symphony X's seventh studio album is quite possibly the heaviest thing you'll ever hear. Need proof? Check out songs like 'Set the World on Fire', 'Serpents Kiss' and the most heaviest song in existence, 'Domination'.

Musically I wouldn't say this is Symphony X's best album. The song structures are nowhere near as complex as past efforts such as 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy' and 'Twilight in Olympus', and the keyboards don't seem as dominant as they were before. But the songs are so intense that it's easy to forgive them. And trust me, 'intense' is an understatement. These songs blast out of your speakers at a billion miles per second. Prepare to find brain matter oozing out of your ears!

Guitarist Michael Romeo shows why he is the best at what he does, and although I think he takes the main spotlight on this album, all the other members show that they are by no means any slouches, and hold their own against anyone else on their respective instruments. But the majority of the album is based around Romeo's guitar riffs, and these riffs are exactly what makes this album as heavy as it is. I can only dream of writing riffs this perfect.

Overall this is definitely not Symphony X's best album, but an amazing piece none-the-less. Recommended for anyone who like heavy music, and you'd better if you're thinking of buying this. Trust me, this is the heaviest album you will ever hear.

Valarius | 4/5 |