Opeth - Blackwater Park CD (album) cover

BLACKWATER PARK

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Valarius
3 stars I wasn't feeling very excited, but I knew I couldn't avoid Opeth forever, as they seemed to be stirring up a lot of attention amongst Progressive Metal fans. The reason I wasn't too thrilled is because to be honest I'm not too keen on the whole Death Metal growling thing. After buying this album I heard it once and wasn't too impressed so chucked it on my shelf to collect dust until the day came that I'd have to review it.

Well, that day is now, and I have to say my opinion has changed a great deal.

After countless listens the main thing about Opeth that really started to grow on me was the amazing riffs. There's no open E-string chugging with random discords like most modern metal bands. The riffs on this album are all very well written and have some very nice sounding, exotic runs in them.

Okay, so I'm still not really digging the growling, but I suppose it works with this music, and if in doubt I just accept the fact that the music in the background is so impressive. Of course the clean-sung parts are a pleasant surprise, and show that vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt does have a softer side when he want to.

Overall there are a couple of patchy songs on here, but mostly I really like this album. I feel bad rating it three when I feel it should get a four, but to be blunt, I don't think they'll be many times when I feel I'd rather listen to Opeth than another band such as Dream Theater or Blind Guardian.

Definitely a great album, and although they'll never be my favourite band, I can honestly say I'm an Opeth fan.

Valarius | 3/5 |