Salmon - When The Dust Settles CD (album) cover

4 stars One of the nicest surprises so far this year. This Dutch band is under most proggers radar, but really deserves the scene's full recognition.

The mood and style of this album reminds me a lot about Cathedral's superb debut album Stained Glass Stories. Just a lot less heavier and more baroque. The similarities to Gentle Giant is obvious and clear. But Salmon does a more minimalistic symphonic prog than both Cathedral and Gentle Giant. Genesis is an obvious reference too. Salmon does their music in an understated, subtle manner. The instruments is low-key and subtle. The songs takes time to get through. This is not an ELP album. It is the opposite end of the symphonic prog spectrum from ELP and Trace.

....Still, Salmon is very symphonic and epic. The music is also very complex. The subtle use of vocals, synth, guitars, bass and drums is very elegant. Less is more. The music contains some superb solos. The vocals too are superb. The songs are superb too. This is an album well worth checking out and I regard it as a treasure in my large collection of music. Salmon is most definate on my list of bands I need to check out.

4 stars