Symphony X - Iconoclast CD (album) cover

ICONOCLAST

Symphony X

NickCrimsonII
3 stars 'Iconoclast' by Symphony X

I did not want to review this album, at all. Not because it is that bad or terribly written and performed but because I do not think it is that groundbreaking or essential for the band and/or for the genre (Also, I didn't want to leave my ratings reviewless, so that's another reason).

Briefly about the album: It is the eighth release of Symphomy X, the follow-up to their 2007 LP 'Paradise Lost' (an album that does not fit my taste, too), and though it is not a concept album with a storyline and characters, there is a concept that goes through the record: The idea of machines taking over humanity. The album is pretty much song-oriented and is definitely one of the heaviest releases of Symphony X.

Still, after the first couple of tracks, it starts to sounds quite jogtrot. It feels like I'm listening to the same tracks, just re-played in a slightly different manner. And that, I believe, is my issue with the band's latest releases.

Sure, it is not a terrible album, nor it is badly produced, it just sounds like everything else Symphony X has done.

Despite all of the bad words, I appreciate the band's technicality and their virtuosity, the fact they are able to make complex, yet fast and powerful compositions, and the loyal fanbase that they have. Also, keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

NickCrimsonII | 3/5 |