Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

Zoltanxvamos
5 stars This is it for me, this is the number 1 progressive rock album of all time. Here's why: The songs on this album just flow brilliantly, the songwriting is absolutely top notch, the layout of the album is classic, Peter Gabriel's voice fits every song (except for the one). Need I go on? Yes I should! I ain't done here yet.

First: 'Dancing with the moonlit Knight', a masterpiece on it's own, the opening track gave.way to such an influential piece in progressive rock. The balance in solos, complicated instrumentation, perfect mix for the song and many other aspects. Name me a more iconic Genesis song. Just the layout of this song influenced many present bands. 'I know what I like (in your wardrobe)', an interesting little experiment that turned into another iconic Genesis song as of late. Interesting and well writing instrumentation and sounds from that time. 'Firth of Fifth', Again, an iconic song by the band that pinpointed another influential format in modern progressive rock. Need I say more? Ok. The guitar solo is absolutely stellar in terms of writing and technical ability, and the Taurus pedals just add to that dark atmosphere that make this song still iconic to this day. 'More Fool Me', a pleasant little song written by Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins, it is a good song, technically hard to play on guitar in terms of chords and well sung. Not iconic but still a good song. 'The Battle of Epping Forest' is again, not as iconic but still a masterpiece on the album with some comparable elements to songs like 'Get'em Out By Friday' on Foxtrot. Very good, interesting story and amazing songwriting all together. 'After the Ordeal' another not very iconic song by the band but still a very strong song on the album in terms of songwriting. 'Cinema Show', Ok... give me one second to prepare for this one...

Ok! This song has it all, harmonies, keyboard solos, atmosphere, amazing lyrical content, interesting songwriting all the way through and yet it is still somewhat underrated. This song is what Progressive Rock is. It defines the genre, this is true Progressive Rock. Not Tool or Dream Theater, this is real progressive Rock. And finally we reach the call back song of 'Aisle of Plenty', this song calls back to 'Dancing with the Moonlit Knight' and brings the album full circle. This album has the iconic Genesis lineup of Tony Banks, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Steve Hackett. This album did no wrong and it is of course, a true platinum moment in Progressive Rock history. This is the album that helped solidify what the genre is, and what it can continue to be. Genesis, you guys made an album that Progressive Rockheads such as myself will admire, it is one of the most influential pieces in the genre, and you guys just started... it is important that you know how much this album is worth to Proggers. And for the generation ahead, this is music at its absolute finest.

Zoltanxvamos | 5/5 |