Pink Floyd - Meddle CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Any Colour You Like
5 stars Let's have a Meddle

This was the first album I ever bought, (honest) and thus holds a special place in my heart. This is what I would consider to be the first truly collaborate effort by Pink Floyd. The music seems tight, well thought out (well, maybe not Seamus or San Tropez), and in the case of Echoes, masterfully written.

There are several stand out tracks on Meddle, each unique, each different to the other, all with their own charms and vices. One of These Days pounds away with a thumping bass line, before a magnificent soaring slide guitar takes over. It is a menacing, dark opening to an otherwise ethereal album. A Pillow of Winds is a quiet acoustic track that lifts the listener into a soft lull, before giving way to the eclectic melancholic rocker Fearless. St. Tropez follows, a groovy jazzy beat lifts the listener into a positive, sunny mood, complete with a mercurial Waters on vocals. However, just when you thought the Floyd were finished with their light hearted experimentation, we come across Seamus. The unofficial "worst Pink Floyd track ever", featuring Seamus the dog on lead vocals, along side Gilmour on the Harmonica. Oh my... what have they done?

After such a jovial and bizarre selection, it comes as a surprise when we are launched into Echoes, the 23 minute long under-water-extra-terrestrial epic. Much has been written about Echoes, alas, there is not much more to say. If you have not heard it, do so immediately. Meddle is not without its quirks. Any album that features a dog on vocals will surely lose some cred, but any loss of interest is surely countered by the magnificence of One of These Days, A Pillow of Winds, Fearless, and of course Echoes.

Meddle should be an album that is listed alongside the greats of progressive rock, for it contains a plethora of sonic goodness and musical exploration. A quirky, interesting and ultimately wonderful album.

5/5