The Flower Kings - Waiting For Miracles CD (album) cover

WAITING FOR MIRACLES

The Flower Kings

Zoltanxvamos
4 stars Old Fashioned, Brilliant but Disappointing

This album could've been the next Space Revolver or Stardust We Are but it suffers. I got my copy yesterday and was absolutely ready to here how this album sounds. And with Two new members, not one new member (almost always being the drummer), a drummer; Mirkko De Maio and Keyboardist; Zach Kamins, this album has its faults. Both new members being great but you can rarely hear one of them, want to guess who? If you guessed Zach Kamins (keyboards), then you would be right! So many great opportunities to solo and in some places he takes it but even when he does you can barely hear him. So with a poor mix, this album will take a hit. The songwriting, playing or lyrics all work but the mix is one factor that will sink this album. As much love as I have for The Flower Kings, this album is both Brilliant and Disappointing (this the title of this review). It makes the two previous albums (Banks of Eden and Desolation Rose) sound like a blues band, but this doesn't deserve 5 Stars. The blues rock elements I've complained about in the albums after Unfold The Future are all gone but... seriously... this mix... I hope they decide to release a deluxe edition with more material and a much better mix. If and when that happens, then this album will be worthy of a 5 star rating. But as it stands now, this album has poor mix, lacks the long epics that make TFK a top 10 prog bands ever spot. From a playing perspective, this album has intricate playing, very emotional solos and fast licks (by Zach Kamins). It even has dynamics! Finally an album with a bunch of dynamics, some soft acoustic songs that really make this album shine. Maybe I'll eventually get over the mix but until then, this album is a brilliant but disappointing album. Love it and feel some pain from this album. (Also, hats off to Zach Kamins for making amazing atmospheres like Tomas Bodin!).

Zoltanxvamos | 4/5 |