Camel - A Nod And A Wink CD (album) cover

A NOD AND A WINK

Camel

MusicMan3172
4 stars Camel has always held a special place in my music collection. Their music is both complex and highly melodic. And while they rock hard at times, they never stray far from their "rock meets folk" style. I also find it amazing that after three decades and a multitude of line-up changes, Guitarist/Vocalist Andy Latimer has kept the band's musical style intact. It's also important to note that Camel's music has had a very strong influence on the music of progressive death metal band Opeth, also one of my favorites.

With that said, Camel's 2002 release "A Nod and a Wink" finally made it to my ipod last year. I was already listening to their previous release "Rajaz" for quite some time, and thought it was an excellent album. I have to say that when "a Nod and a Wink" finally arrived it quicky rose above "Rajaz" (and even "Moonmadness") to become my favorite Camel album.

From the first track forward, the listener is greeted with excellent songwriting, amazing flow, and some of the best vocals Andy Latimer's ever put down on tape. Also, while the entire band does a fantastic job translating these songs, Andy L. is the star here. He might be one of the most underrated guitarists of all time. Gifted with an incredible sense of melody, he lays down some truly great leads all over this album. I can go on and on about Andy's playing, but in the end, it's all about the songs, and they're the best Camel's ever written.

1. A nod and a wink (11:16) 5/5 2. Simple pleasures (5:31) 4/5 3. A boy´s life (7:20) 4/5 4. Fox Hill (9:09) 5/5 5. The Miller´s Tale (3:34) 4/5 6. Squigley Fair (8:02) 5/5 7. For Today (10:40) 4/5

I simply cannot say enough great things about this album. If you don't already have it, I suggest you pick it up ASAP.

MusicMan3172 | 4/5 |