Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings CD (album) cover

BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS

Dream Theater

Valarius
5 stars I listened to the song 'A Rite of Passage' when it became available to download from the Roadrunner website, and have to say that at first I was a little worried that this album wouldn't be that good. Thankfully Dream Theater proved me wrong, leaving me in shame for even doubting them for a second.

The first time I listened to 'Black Clouds & Silver Linings' I was a little unsure of what to think, but thankfully multiple listens gave each song a chance to grow on me. As a diehard Dream Theater fanatic, even I can admit that to date this is probably Dream Theater's weakest release. The songs sound similar to what the band has been releasing over the last ten years, and the lyrics seem fairly rubbish compared to some of the stuff they'd written in the past. But this is Dream Theater dammit! And even at their worst, they are miles ahead of every other band on the planet.

With only six songs, ranging between 5.30 - 19.00 minutes in length, it'd be easy to say that any song on this album could be seen as an epic. Whether it's the dark, gothic mood of opening track 'A Nightmare to Remember' to the uplifting 'The Best of Times', each song has its own identity. And then there's 'The Count of Tuscany'. Every album has that one song that stands out above the others. This is it.

Included in this set is a bonus disk of six cover songs. Whilst I wasn't familiar with all of the songs, each has grown on me and I think, after hearing the originals, Dream Theater have done a fantastic job here, especially with the Queen and Zebra covers.

Sadly, the third bonus disk, an instrumental version of the album, seems rather pointless. The music is of the highest order, no doubt about it. But I'm pretty confident I'll always go for the version with vocals. Good disk, just pointless really.

In conclusion, this is a great album! I have no problem admitting that it's not quite 'Images & Words' or 'Scenes from a Memory', (and not many records are!) but it's still an amazing album definitely worthy of five stars. I bought the box set version of this, and whilst it should really only be worth getting for fanatics like myself, I think everyone should at least own the one-disk version.

Valarius | 5/5 |