Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (3 -

PETER GABRIEL (3 - "MELT")

Peter Gabriel

UMUR
3 stars Peter Gabriel ( sometimes named 3 - "Melt") is the third full-length studio album by UK experimental pop/ rock artist Peter Gabriel. Being a gigantic Peter Gabriel era Genesis fan meant that I had high expectations when I purchased his solo albums 10 - 15 years ago, but all the solo albums I purchased back then have been collecting dust on my shelf ever since. Iīve taken out the LPs to make reviews of the albums but the first two have gone straight back on the shelf after I wrote my review. They are are not bad albums but rather bland and mediocre if you ask me ( well the second is actually pretty good but not excellent). So I wasnīt expecting too much of this third album and I was right in my assumption that this wouldnīt change my opinion about Peter Gabrielīs solo career.

The music is mainstream pop/ rock with some alternative/ experimental elements. Peter Gabrielīs distinct voice is in focus most of the time in the vers/ chorus build songs. All songs are pretty easily accessable but they just donīt leave a lasting impression on me. the ending song Biko was the song that made most of an impression on me with itīs african percussion and african choir type singing. It doesnīt mean I think the song is very good though. I often hear people saying that the lyrics are very important on Peter Gabrielīs solo albums and that may be so, but if youīre not paying particular attention to the lyrics the music doesnīt have that much to offer for someone who crave experimental/ progressive music ( I donīt enjoy music where all that matters are the lyrics and thatīs how this seems to me). There! Iīve tried again after 10 - 15 years and the result is still the same. Iīm rather bored and wonder why Peter Gabriel didnīt make some memorable music that I can enjoy. With all my bickering aside the music does deserve a 2.5 - 3 star rating as the level of musicianship on the album is high, the compositions are well written ( if you enjoy this type of music) and the production is professional. I wouldnīt recommend this music to anyone I know though. I was actually a bit excited about the second solo album but that excitement has disappeared completely with this effort. Back on the shelf you go.

UMUR | 3/5 |