Asia - Aura CD (album) cover

AURA

Asia

nikow
1 stars Aura is the only album of Asia that I own, and it really makes me wonder how bad their other albums must be if this is rated highest here. I saw this album being in a bargain bin and knew Asia by name, that it had Wetton, Palmer, Howe and Downes. Then when I looked at the back cover I saw to my disappointment that this album has only Downes, and Howe guesting on a few tracks. But because the price was so cheap and the musicians guesting here were top class, I decided to buy it.

I think I should not have, as the contents were really a letdown. I could not find anything inspired or even catchy as this surely wants to be a pop album, not a prog album. I'm no blockheaded prog aficionado, I listen to all kinds of music, and I expect a pop album to be a lot more catchy than this. The lyrics, the singing, the synth sounds, all just ooze cliché, cliché, cliché. I had to listen very hard to even recognize Howe's playing. And Tony Levin was so underused on the track he guested in. I would mention the strongest songs here, if there were any. But unfortunately after some five or so listens, I can't remember any of the songs here.

The only redeeming factor of this album is the artwork, which is great as always from Roger Dean. But there's a funny thing about my copy. It's been released by First Entertainment in 2002 and has the cover in BLUE. I tried to find something about this edition but couldn't find anything. The track list is without the bonus songs.

I'm sorry, but I really have to give this only one star. I don't think I'm going to listen to this much.

nikow | 1/5 |