Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida CD (album) cover

Iron Butterfly

2 stars I gather that this album is considered to be some kind of a classic. At least it sold millions back in the day. Well, for me this album is classic only because of the title song. And even In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida drags on a bit too much. The whole album is strangely divided in two very different parts. The first side is full of forgettable, typical late 60s style psychedelic pop rock with strong emphasis on organ. The songs are short and concise. Doug Ingle's vocals get irritating after a while and the lyrics are nothing to write home about.

Then there's the title song which covers the whole second side of the album. If it would be this song only, I would be giving this 4 stars at least. It's truly a classic (if a bit too long though, there's not much going on a lot of the time) and rightly so. But because of the first side, I have to give the album two stars. A shame really.

nikow | 2/5 |