The Who - Who's Next CD (album) cover

WHO'S NEXT

The Who

Proto-Prog

russellk
3 stars THE WHO were one of the cornerstones of sixties music, a major force behind the transition from rock n' roll to rock, and were influential on the nascent progressive movement. Ironically, by the early 70s, when this album appeared, they were no longer world leaders, but were producing the best music of their careers. 'Who's Next' is arguably their standout album.

I recognise all this, but personally I've never had much time for the band. They lacked something for me - I've never been able to decide exactly what it is - I suspect their raw aggression and relative lack of sophistication in the 60s left me cold. This album at least holds my interest, but by 1971 so many other bands were doing it so much better.

Standout tracks are 'Baba O'Reilly', 'Bargain' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again', with excellent vocals, instrumentation and aggression, and there is not really a weak track on the album. THE WHO attracts a vast following, but I do not believe they are a necessary part of a progressive rock collection.

russellk | 3/5 |