Nektar - The Other Side CD (album) cover

THE OTHER SIDE

Nektar

Psychedelic/Space Rock

PrimeReviewsMusic
4 stars Review - #2 (Nektar - The Other Side)

So far, this year has been great for progressive rock and Nektar's new album is no exception. After their lead vocalist, Roye Albrighton passed away in 2016 I had doubts about the band and how they would be able to continue. However, after listening to this album my fears turned out to not be false. The new vocalist, Ryche Chlanda, will never live up to what Roye Albrighton brought to the band. But he does a pretty good job nonetheless. I have to say, the vocals brought to the band fit well with Nektar's current music. The album even feels like somewhat of a return to form of classic Nektar.

When listening to the album, it was difficult to point out which song stands out the most. But for me, the 18 minute epic Love Is / The Other Side was the highlight of the album. The different array of styles and musicianship used throughout the song is breathtaking. But, other songs such as Look Thru Me really showcases Ryche Chlanda's great vocals while providing a new, interesting sound for the band. And sealing it all together are the great musicians which consists of Randy Dembo (Bassist), Derek "Mo" Moore (Bassist), Ryche Chlanda (Vocals and Guitarist), Kendall Scott (Keyboards), Ron Howden (Drums), and to top it off Mick Brockett (Visual Effects) who's been with the band since the late 60's.

However, this album is not "perfect". In some songs, I feel that the drums could be a bit overbearing. But, it never gets too distracting. In addition, the song The Light Beyond is a great song but it feels more like an intro rather then a singular song. I still truely believe that this album will stand the test of time and become one of Nektar's classics. From its slower songs to the more fast and rocking songs, it never becomes dull.

The Other Side - 4.5/5