Camel - Rain Dances CD (album) cover

RAIN DANCES

Camel

The Runaway
2 stars Camel? You mean Caravan, right?

There is not a word that can describe Camel in this era of theirs, but if there was, I know it definitely wouldn't be excellent, or great, or any word of that kind. Richard Sinclair replacing Doug Ferguson on bass duties and Andrew Latimer's vocal duties sure brought a different musical style to the band, which is much more Canterbury than the usual Symphonic Prog style Camel had to offer in the previous four albums. Fine, you may think I hate this album, and maybe I do, but it's because it has pop songs, which is not what I wanted to hear when I got this album.

The only 2 songs I think are good, or even decent, are First Light and Rain Dances. I think First Light is good because it's instrumental, and because it's a great song overall. Instrumental means I don't have to hear Sinclair's vocals in a band like Camel, and it's a great song because it fits my taste. Excuse me for not liking Sinclair's vocals, but I wasn't expecting to join Camel after his band swapping. Maybe Soft Machine, sure, but Camel? They're not his style, at all.

I don't like the other songs, and maybe it's because I'm not used to Camel without Andy Latimer's vocals, or Doug Ferguson amazing bass work, but I think it's mainly because the frisky change of style. With songs like Highways of the Sun, I feel like it's not Camel, but another annoying pop band and puts on the "progressive rock" tags. I guess I'm just one of those first four albums guy, and don't have a spot in my heart for the Richard Sinclair ones.

I like Rain Dances because it has a cool chord sequence, and nice instrumentation overall. This sounds like an eighties song but I don't care, because I like it and it's progressive rock, the music I love.

Fine, I gave this a 2/5 because I don't like most of the songs, but that's what the rating is for. I don't want people criticizing my reviews, cause if they don't like them, they can just read another review. I will get the following Camel album, and who knows, maybe it'll be better.

The Runaway | 2/5 |