Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon CD (album) cover

DOOMSDAY AFTERNOON

Phideaux

snobb
3 stars I read plenty of good reviews for Phideaux, so I think I will disappoint many fans by my opinion.

I want to start from declaration, that I am not a huge fun of orchestrated rock (or sympho-rock), even average King Crimson album for me is much better than the best Yes album. Another thing-I don't like neo-prog too much, because of it secondary music. So, may be this position is the reason why I am not happy too much with this album and Phideaux in common.

I listened few early albums and found there ... how to say .... pop-rock in prog clothes. And even not very orininal one, but mix of some classical citates.

About this, new album: it's better than earlier works. Now the sound is more like sympho-neo- prog. In some moments I hear pure Kansas violin pieces, other moments remind me some Pink Floyd harmonies and vocals. But both together - average sound quality, technicaly no bad,sometimes with small interesting ideas - but absolutely nothing I didn't heard 30 yrs ago!

How I understand, some progheads are very happy to listen talented imitators of classic prog from 70-th. So, I prefer originals. May be it's a reason of my low mark, but there in 21 st century are many more interesting musicians with 21-st century music ideas.

snobb | 3/5 |