Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear CD (album) cover

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars While not as mind-blowing or ground-breaking as Phaedra, it's brighter and more varied, both in sounds, instruments and song writing, while still retaining the same focus, majesty and dramatic impact.

This was my first step into electronic music and it's still one of my favourites and an excellent introduction into the world of TD. Coming from a prog or rock background, the album is immediately accessible by its relatively short songs that evolve through different themes and progressions. It also features some excellent guitar work from Froese who really achieves big results with just a few notes. If one uses the right notes, there don't need to be many.

The title track is my favourite Tangerine Dream piece, the development of the themes is really outstanding here and covers more ground then anything else they would ever do in a time span of 10 minutes. The Big Sleep is a short moody piece with that really creepy flute mellotron they used back then. A special note goes to Invisible Limits. The opening part would be featured for its entire 3 minutes on our national television for years on end as the background music for the national lottery draw. So it always throws me back to when I was really really little.

Stratosfear is a step into more melodic territory but it maintains the typical solemn TD mood and keeps far away from later cheesiness that Tangerine Dream would indulge in. 4.5 stars

Bonnek | 4/5 |