Tangerine Dream - Cyclone CD (album) cover

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars Cyclone appears to be a very controversial album here. Much to my surprise I must say. I've always adored this album as much as the ones before it. With the addition of the dramatic vocals and live drums it sounds more prog rock and distinctively different from the albums before it. So I would even have expected this album to go down very well with the progressive rock crowd. But apparently it didn't / doesn't.

Of course, being too young to have witnessed any 70's release, I missed the commotion around it, so, back in '85 or something, I could listen to it without any preconceptions.

Cyclone entirely lives up to its title. Especially Madrigal Meridian is a swirling track that rocks out like nothing else in the Tangs' oeuvre. It's a spiced up version of pretty much everything Tangerine Dream had done before: a creepy opening section, great sequences with tons of moog and mellotron, sharp guitar solos and as conclusion, one of their best gentle segments ever. With it's 20.30 minutes length it comes close to being their best track ever.

Much of the debate is about the first two tracks however, the ones with the vocals. Well I think Steve Jolliffe does an excellent job here. Not only does he have a very warm and commanding voice, he can also provide a rougher edge, sometimes boarding on the insane when he spews out those incoherent vowels and sounds. With him in the band, Tangerine Dream completely reinstates the punk spirit of kraut rock in their music. It's an excellent addition and absolutely unique in their discography.

Bonnek | 4/5 |