Tangerine Dream - Underwater Sunlight CD (album) cover

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
1 stars Underwater Sunlight is hardly any better then the two preceding albums, but still it is infinitely better then anything that came after it. The fact that this album has a higher average rating then pretty much everything from their 70-ties output is quite frightening. After all, apart from Song of the Whale part 1, all music is very docile. And even Song of the Whale doesn't survive too many repeated listens. No, I'd rather listen to real whales.

This is Tangerine Dream without a soul and without a hint of inspiration. As I described in my review for The Park, it sounds as if it didn't involve human beings anymore but was created by a clever computer program assembling Tangerine Dream tunes by the numbers. Especially Dolphin Dance, Ride On The Ray and Scuba Scuba are exercises in facelessness. All those tracks revolve around cheesy melodies, unbelievably tedious rhythms and inadequate drum sequencing. It sounds even worse then what any amateur could program in those years.

After this album I gave up on Tangerine Dream completely. It's a lifeless and uninspired mess for me. Style and no substance. I appear to be the only one of that opinion so, who knows, you may like it, but I would advise a few listens and even if you thought this sounds like a great album, I'd put on Stratosfear to prove you wrong.

Bonnek | 1/5 |